In the past I have worked to clean up the environment, clean up engineering processes and have even tried to clean up my house. But now as I look for a job in DC I am looking to clean up my online persona. Here is a top 10 list I found online that relates to cleaning up your online reputation. http://thyblackman.com/2013/02/07/yes-ten-tipsdoes-your-online-image-match-your-offline-image/
1. Make sure that your profile picture is of YOU. Not a logo or your cat.
- Completed. Thanks to a family friend Katie McMenamin I have some pretty snappy head shots
2. Make sure that your profile picture shows your eyes so that your clients and potential clients can connect with you.
- Makes sense. I think my eyes look “professional” ha ha
3. Make sure that your profile picture is consistent with doing something that somebody in your field would be doing.
- Hmmm this one might be a bit hard. How do I look engineeringish?
4. Be mindful of your comments online.
- I have separated my various twitter, facebook, and web pages to silo comments of different types. The reasons I started this webpage and twitter account was to have a place to be more professional on the web.
5. Update awesome professional accomplishments, events and speeches with favorable pictures.
- This will be a work in progress. I will try to get more shots of me doing work and community activities that would be fitting for a more professional crowd.
6. Keep your LinkedIn profile up to date.
- Done and Done. I have updated several of my online professional resume sites. Next I need to make sure that they are showing the same info as I update my information.
- http://www.monster.com Look for JJ Biel-Goebel
7. If you have a personal twitter or facebook account, make sure that you have your privacy settings high so that you are not easy to locate by those who you do not wish to find you. Do not forget to remain mindful of your post even when your updates are protected.
- Since I have 5 twiiter accounts I needed to do some cleaning here. I have since used nicknames at all but the professional account so as to make finding other info about my social sharring will be a bit harder.
8. Blog, I know that this may sound strange, but if you Blog and Blog often, your personal brand will have positive content to push up to the front of Google to push down the negative ranked info on Google. This will be so helpful and it will help to establish you as an expert in your field!
- I run three blogs, again each for a different public image. This blog as it gets updated will be dedicated to more of the Nerdy stuff I think about.
9. Post Videos. This also helps your google ratings especially when posted on YouTube, but people will also get to know you so it will be easier to relate to you. You will acquire more clients from people who like your personality!
- This is going to be hard. I have only done videos for fun so making the switch to more professional content will be a trial and error process I will be working on over the next few months. I plan to create at least to videos for this site to help with finding a job.
10. Truly be yourself. While Business is all about being professional, not being yourself is just way too much work! Professionalism is required, but be uniquely yourself. Speak in your own language, offer value and remember that the interenet is where MANY people get MOST of there business. So it IS Real and how you behave online can have a considerable effect on your business and its bottom line!
- This is easily said but not so easily done. I like to speak my mind and have a stranger sense of humor than most. So on this site I will be self censoring a lot more than on my other outlets.